Friday, February 12, 2016

I am the Messenger Reader's Response




                       I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak is a book written about an underage cab driver, Ed, who is living alone and does not have much of a life. One day he is held at gunpoint during a robbery, yet manages to save the day even when he did not mean to. Only days after, he is sent messages written on playing cards; each location giving him a different adventure. A part of this book that I find very compelling is that the protagonist Ed is at an important age in his life, yet is doing nothing adventurous or exciting to start up his life. He is still living in a crummy town and has decided to not attend college. When he gets this message by an anonymous person, the first thing he does is actually act on it. If I were in Ed's place, I probably would have ignored it since I would have never received something odd like that before. I can see why Ed would decide to go to the addresses though. He's at the age of 19 and has done nothing interesting except stopping a robbery only a few days before. This message that he gets could change his life and give him something to live for instead of just playing cards with his friends. This brings me to my point, I believe Ed is a character I can connect a lot with and someone who has inspired me. His life has shown how the days should be valued more, instead of just waiting for something wonderful to happen to make them more valued. Ed's circumstances happen to be wonderful, even though he never strived for anything in his life to make it more fulfilling. The real world is sadly not a book; we are not all going to stop a robbery like  Ed in I am the Messenger. Ed has inspired me to not be afraid about being adventurous, and making spontaneous decisions. I feel this connection to Ed almost on a personal level. While reading the beginning of the book, you learn immediately about Ed not being you're average teenager. He tells us that he has decided to not attend to college, that he's working underage as a cabdriver and he also lives alone. Now if you do not go to college, you're usually expected to continue living at your parent's house until figuring out a career, but instead he moves out. That is something I actually admire believe it or not. I have always wanted to be able to tell myself "I am independent, and do not need other's help." Sadly, I can't say that at an adolescence age, but it's something I'm striving for. I feel almost proud of Ed for being able to maintain a job that gives him; an income, a roof over his head and food on his plate. It shows at lot of responsibility for his age. Something I particularly admire was Ed being able to break out of this normal lifestyle he was going by. I have always found the idea of anything changing as nerve racking or uncomfortable. Mostly, because I don't know if it will make my life better or more stressful. But yet, we have this character Ed who's able to break this chain that's between his non original life and adventure. Change is a scary thing, yet you can see just how much he wants that. When he is sent those addresses to visit, I was astonished that he actually went. Never would I have guessed that outcome. I, in the beginning of I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, was relating myself to this character. I thought about how I want a stable job that could get me a small place at that age if I decide to not attend college. When he starts going on these missions and saving these people's futures, I wonder "Am I really capable of doing that?" Of course not shooting a rapist nor telling an old woman that I am her deceased partner, but helping people. Helping others and taking chances is what Ed has taught me in I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, even when starting out as an average teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment